Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Be overwhelmed

Hear my cry, O God; Attend to my prayer. From the end of the earth I will cry to You, When my heart is overwhelmed; Lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For You have been a shelter for me, A strong tower from the enemy. I will abide in Your tabernacle forever; I will trust in the shelter of Your wings. Selah” (Psalm 61:1–4, NKJV)


I love this Psalm by David, it is one of those Psalms that mirrors our prayers when we are in the middle of the battle or in the middle of a trouble. Like the Psalm says, when we are overwhelmed we we cry out for the promises of the Lord to be a refuge for us. We rejoice in this and it is a blessing to have a God that cares about us, and that we can run to.

What about the times when things are good and we are not on the battlefield, are we crying out to the Lord. You see our God should be sought out with the same fervency all the time. Be overwhelmed with thankfulness and cry out to the Lord with gratitude. Be overwhelmed by His love for you, and cry out with worship to the one living God. Be overwhelmed and rejoice that the God of creation cares about the most intimate details in your life.

You see, in whatever state you are in, you can cry out to the Lord and He will listen. There are many reasons we can be overwhelmed with our God, so respond in prayer, respond in praise, respond in gratitude.